Supported by Canberra Outlet
A new year brings with it the feeling of a fresh start and it’s a great time to set better intentions for all areas of life — including the home.
While it may not be possible to have a stylish and spotlessly clean home 365 days of the year, there are small changes we can make that have a lasting impact.
Canberra Outlet is a beacon of inspiration for all things home style, and here are five quick and affordable ways to get your home ready for the new year.
1. Create a productive workspace
You know what they say — a decluttered workspace is a decluttered mind. Increasingly many of us are working from home or taking work home with us. So why not make a few small changes here to create a more productive workspace?!
Our top ideas to refresh your workspace:
- Declutter: sort through your piles of stuff, go paperless where possible and let go of things you no longer need
- Storage: invest in new storage solutions. Stores like Adairs and Freedom have fab shelving units that are smart on space and big on style!
- Lighting: avoid eye strain and add ambience to your study with a desk lamp or two (the one below is from Freedom)
- Desk decor: elevate your workspace with new desk accessories, such as a pot plant, pen holder and stylish storage boxes.
2. Introduce greenery
We often hear about the benefits of indoor plants and for good reason — they have a range of health benefits, such as improving air quality, and are seriously stylish!
There’s a huge range of affordable pots, hanging planters and smaller vessels at Canberra Outlet so you’ll be able to find just the right piece to display your favourite plant, such as the large matte white pot from Adairs (pictured below).
For greater visual impact, consider creating a mini urban jungle in your home by clustering several plants together. The trick to doing this well is contrast so don’t be shy to mix plant types (different foliage, plant shapes and height) or vessels.
3. Refresh cushions
It’s the oldest trick in the stylist’s book, but it works! Sofas are a large investment piece that cannot be changed easily but a few new cushions is a great way to improve the look of an older sofa or simply add new style to your living room.
Introduce a fresh colour palette or more on-trend prints into your home with some new season cushions. Earthy tones, accents of green and highly textured cushions are all big this season!
4. Organise your wardrobe
Trying to decide what to wear each day is difficult enough so let’s not add a disorganised wardrobe to the equation.
If you have piles of clothes at the floor of your wardrobe, shirts falling off hangers or nowhere to store your accessories, take the time and small expense to get organised.
A few ways to organise your wardrobe include:
- using storage bags to compactly store clothes that won’t be worn next season
- placing accessories and smaller items in storage baskets
- using slim coat hangers to maximise hanging rail space
- buying hanging shelves to organise shirts or other folded clothing.
Gina recently overhauled her wardrobe using new Elfa storage solutions from Howards Storage. Read more wardrobe organisation tips here.
5. Maximise drawer storage
If there’s one thing we could all have more of in the home, it’s storage. But there are ways we can maximise the space we already have, such as using storage containers like these from Howards Storage. It’s an easy way of keeping similar items together and to take better advantage of the depth of the space. There are also many stackable varieties.
You can find a range of storage containers, including with or without lids, in all different sizes so you can configure these to fit whatever drawer size you have.
Why not try a few of these ideas to get your home ready for the new year? Or do you have other ways to reset the home? We’d love you to share your tips in the comments below!