There’s no denying that crystals have become a popular décor piece in interior styling but there’s more to crystals than just their outer beauty. Every crystal possesses unique properties — from healing crystals, to love crystals and even protection crystals. So whether you’re drawn to crystals for their beauty or for their energy and want to use them as tools in your home, we’ve got crystal expert Soud of Higher+Self with us to share the best crystals to use and where. You can also find crystal shop links if you spy any you want to bring into your home!
Keep reading this room-by-room guide to using crystals in your home. And if you have any questions, pop them in the comments below!
In your living room
There are many crystals you could use in your living room but a few that Soud suggests are:
- Amethyst is the master of calming and is perfect for a living space as it soothes anxiety and stress. Said to purify any space of negative vibrations, this crystal cools excessive emotions for a relaxed living room space
- Apophyllite is a high vibe crystal and will raise the vibration of any space it’s placed in. Ideal for bringing in positivity and uplifting vibes, apophyllite is perfect for any social living room
- Hematite has beautiful grounding properties and great energising qualities. We talk more about this crystal in the bedroom section below
- Amazonite is perfect for reducing stress and improving emotional wellbeing. Further, it’s said to help with clearing your muddled thoughts for better understanding of yourself and others
- Sodalite can help you express things in the best way possible. Because of this, it’s said to be effective in ending disagreements. And Sodalite can also be used for calmness and tranquility.
The use of any of these crystals in your living space will help to create a relaxing living space while promoting positive energy.
In your bedroom
There are a variety of crystals you can use in the bedroom including:
- Rose Quartz is the ultimate love stone. Attract a partner, amplify romantic energy in the bedroom or manifest unconditional love by having Rose Quartz in your bedroom. It’s recommended to place the crystal in the right hand-side of your room as this is the romance corner in Feng Shui
- Smoky Quartz helps absorb negative thought patterns and can help lift your mood. One of the ultimate protective stones, smoky quartz can help you alleviate nightmares and sleep peacefully
- Clear Quartz is a powerful cleansing crystal and works to help with healing. This crystal is perfect for lifting your mood and making you feel better. Some people even place clear quartz directly on them, specifically their forehead, while lying down in bed
- Lapis Lazuli is a deep sapphire blue colour gemstone and helps you find your happy place again! This blue stone is all about stimulating openness and infinite possibilities of the imagination
- Jet is also a strong and protective stone. Also known to draw out negative energy and unreasonable fears, Jet has an incredibly strong calming effect. This makes it perfect for dealing with stress and negative emotions.
In your kids room
Recently, Patrick was having night terrors and fears of monsters and other scary things. Soud suggested a combination of three crystals in his bedroom:
- The Selenite wand is a cleansing tool, said to unblock stagnant energy and remove negative energy from a space. By placing it on the windowsill, you help protect your space and raise its vibrations
- Hematite is a protective and grounding stone, helping you feel aligned and centered while also absorbing negative energy. It can also be used to amplify self-confidence and courage
- A Geode is a highly healing and protective crystal, positive energy producer and amplifier. Place it next to the Hematite to amplify the ability to ward away negativity.
Call it coincidence but since placing these crystals in his room, as well as spraying the room with ‘monster spray’ (aka lavender and water), and cuddles to reassure him, he no longer talks about monsters or feeling scared.
In your kitchen and dining areas
As areas that are social, creative and often full of life, Soud suggests these crystals to help you enhance these spaces:
- A Feldspar point is an especially great crystal for your kitchen and dining area. It helps amplify an energy of wellness and health and is excellent for promoting creative thinking
- Calcite is another ideal crystal due to it’s cleansing properties that help boost and fortify the immune system and overall wellbeing.
- Carnelian is a great crystal for your kitchen, especially if you’re lacking confidence in the cooking department. Carnelian increases motivation and stamina and boosts creativity, perfect to help inspire your cooking journey and keep you going
- Clear Quartz, which we mentioned above, is also a popular choice for its cleansing properties.
In your study
In my office, I also have a cluster of crystals next to my computer including:
- A Clear Quartz point in your office will help your thinking. Crystal points are definitely the most powerful tool to use for setting intentions. They amplify the energy through their pointed tip, manifesting intentions into the universe
- Gypsum is another ideal crystal to use in a space where you do most of your thinking. Gypsum is the best crystal for mental clarity, helps set priorities and creating a smooth flow
- Apophyllite can be used in any space as they will help raise the vibes to a very high frequency. They serve to diminish negative energy, including feelings of overwhelm, anxiety and stress
- Fluorite is used for focusing when studying. It allows your mind to open up to new ideas, increases concentration and improves balance.
Cleansing your crystals
It’s important to cleanse and recharge your crystals regularly to help release any negative energy they may absorb and to renew their energy.
Charging your crystals is most powerful on the night of a full moon by:
- gathering crystals and taking them outside, preferably placing them on the earth or a natural surface
- leaving them in the moonlight for as long as possible, ideally overnight, be careful not to expose them to moisture.
After a recharge, set your intentions by holding crystals one by one and saying what you would like your crystal to support you in — perhaps a goal you have for the upcoming month.
To further amplify your intentions, Soud suggests writing them down on a piece of paper and placing a clear quartz point on top of your paper. Leave the paper and point together for a few weeks to help with your manifestations.
I hope this guide to using crystals in your home has inspired you to bring a few crystals into your home. What crystals do you have in your home or how do you like to style with crystals? We’d love you to tell us in the comments below!
Photography by Thorson Photography
Disclaimer: this article was originally published in September 2018 and continues to be updated with latest information and images. I’m a proud Etsy affiliate and this post contains some affiliate links. This means, if you purchase an item we may receive a commission on the sale of the products, at no extra cost to you.