Brrrrr it’s getting cold! This time of year, it’s tempting to hibernate and curl up with a good book and cup of coffee.
If you don’t have a favourite spot in the house, hopefully these ideas on how to create a cozy nook in your home will inspire you!
1. Find the perfect spot. It sounds obvious but this is the most important step so take the time to walk around your home and look for a spot that you will love to spend time — perhaps it’s by a large window, somewhere quiet, or simply warm and cozy.
2. Sort out your seating. Once you find the perfect spot, it’s time to get the seating right. You may be happy with a thick rug and a bunch of scatter cushions on the floor, or for a more permanent nook you can’t go past a bench seat like this.
3. Think outside the box. Just because you need a comfortable spot to relax, it doesn’t mean you have to limit your options to a chair or the ground — just look at this heavenly hammock!
4. Create layers. With the seating sorting, it’s time to make it cozy. Do this by adding cushions in gorgeous winter textures (think knits, velvet and sheepskin) and throws… lots of throws!
5. Add a rest for your cuppa. It’s hard to relax when you don’t have somewhere to rest your coffee (or wine) so look at your space and consider what options would work best — perhaps a side table (check out the log one below — DIY anyone?), or looking at the photo above you could stop your seating shorter on the bench, or it may make sense to install a small wall shelf?
6. Get the lighting right. Whether your nook is for reading, working or snoozing, it’s essential to get the lighting right. Do you need direct lighting for reading or softer lighting that won’t glare against screens? Check out our helpful tips on how to create a lighting plan.
7. Finish with thoughtful accessories. Add some warmth and personality to your nook with special items that make you happy. A hanging planter, art or photos are some ideas to complete your nook.
Do you have other suggestions on how to create a cozy winter nook? Share them in the comments below!